« Home | The Fin's: First music review » | Hey baby...Huey!!!!! you're the man. ha ha ha  » | That's right  » | My first blog » 

Friday, September 02, 2005 

Why HipToBeSquare?









Similarities? I think so

I'm not one to keep secrets. And it may be obvious to those out there but I thought it would be appropriate that one of my first posts should talk about the name of this blog. For those of you not familiar, "Hip To Be Square" is a song by one of the greatest hit makers in town, Mr. Huey Lewis.

I was five years old when Back to the Future came out in the movies. As I was sitting there watching one of my all time favorite actors, Michael J. Fox, go back in time, an infectious song came screaming in to the theatre, "Back in Time" by Huey Lewis and the News. I left that theatre knowing that the movie I just saw rocked and that the main song was something I had to go out and find. And find I did. I bought the soundtrack to Back To the Future. But that wasn't enough for me. I played "Back in Time" over and over again and I thought that it was time to find out more about this Huey Lewis guy. So I purchased his 1983 classic, Sports. Such hits as "The Heart of Rock and Roll" and "I want a New Drug" were seeping in to my innocent brain. Huey helped me to see the lighter side of music and he taught me how to be "Hip to Be Square".

And now, 20 years later, Huey has found his way back in to my life. My friends and I have started an annual Huey Lewis event where we go to see him in Atlantic City, NJ at the end of the summer. He has played there for the past two years and we are looking forward to the third.

Listen to "Hip to Be Square" here
Download "Power of Love" here

Thanks for the music! I liked Power of Love. I'll have to check out more of his stuff.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Lucas "Kip" Owen
  • From Boston, MA
My profile

Links

If you are the owner of any of the images or songs posted on this blog and wish to have them removed, please contact us immediately. We will remove them as soon as we are notifed.

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates